I have always been drawn to powerful quotes and music. I find that the music that moves my essential self the most is music with lyrics that speak right to my soul. Here are a few of my favorites:
- Ordinary Miracles sung by Barbra Streisand from the album Barbra: The Concert.
- Ready to Love Again by Lady Antebellum from the album, Need You Now. (Interestingly, when I listen to this song I don’t think of falling in love
with a person. I think of falling back in love with life.)
- Just a Piece of Sky sung by Barbra Streisand from the album, Barbra: The Concert.
- The Rainbow Connection written by Paul Williams and Kenneth Ascher and originally performed by Kermit the Frog (Jim Henson) from the album, The Muppet Show: Music, Mayhem, and More!
- Man in the Mirror by Michael Jackson from the album, Bad.
- Born This Way by Lady Gaga from the album, Born This Way
I love their music in general. I find it very uplifting and positive.
Sugarland will always hold a special place in my heart. I was an attendee at the concert that never happened at the Indiana State Fair in August of 2011. I witnessed the horrific tragedy that ensued after an indescribable gust of mid-west wind. I was also present during their free concert that they gave on October 28, 2011. Both experiences were a feeling of community. During the first event, people came together to help, save and support one another. During the second event, people including Sugarland came together to heal. I will never forget what I witnessed visually. However, more importantly I will never forget the love and care I felt from people all around me. Having been a participant in both events leaves me with a tremendous feeling of hope, community and love. Here are some of my favorites that speak to the concept of following one’s dream.
All We Are
Take Me as I am
Find the Beat Again
I love Carrie Newcomer’s work. She has a gift that countless people have discovered. She has the ability to take the most complex subjects: Community, Emotions, Purpose, Challenges, Angst, Love, and Truth and presents these insights through simple yet sophisticated pieces of music. She sings and writes from the heart. When I listen to Carrie, I feel touched, moved and inspired to be the best person I can be. Her words and music are simply thought provoking and give one the opportunity to be still and listen to one’s silent center.
I hope you enjoy the songs that she is allowing me to share on this website. They are from her newest album “Everything is Everywhere” which was inspired by a trip to India and features the Khan family. In September of 2009, Carrie was invited by the American Embassy School of New Delhi to perform and work with students to create works of art based on the concepts of peace and social justice. This album features the two songs that you hear on my site and are a product of her experience in India.